Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ahhh...its like 9th week at K + rain= Winter has arrived in Quito!

It's winter!!! What does that mean? Well let me tell you what that means for Quito...RAIN! And lots of it. I of course forgot my umbrella the other day and got drenched coming back home, but whatever...you live and learn right? ;)

Well what can I say, I had plans to go to banos which is a place about 2hrs from Quito but last minute I had to stay in Quito. What went wrong? Well I was suppose to go volunteer and they had given me some work that they really wanted me to get done, so I had to stay and finish it off (it was translating). The next day I was thinking of going and meeting up with a few friends that were there, but someone got robbed and so they were going to come back. However, I also had other motives to stay. I had 2 presentations to research information about and create a powerpoint for one of them, 1 test to study for, and about 60 pages to read. SoOo I was pretty busy, but my host family did invite me to go to this park and I decided to go along. As the week went on, and more work was piled onto my homework pile, I couldn't help but feel like I was back at K during 9th week. Here is a snapshot of my life this past week:

Monday, November 8th :

I had to do a presentation for my  genero y sociedad class, which involoved a powerpoint that I was unable to use (after having worked on it the whole weekend) becuase nobody brought their laptop to school that day. Now, this of course was something I should have planned but everytime one of us (international students) has a presentation we usually borrow someone's laptop, but of course it would be my luck that nobody brought their's that day. However, I made due and it went pretty good, my topic was about feminism and spots. The artilce I picked walked about title IX, women coaches vs. male coaches, and different takes of what the body of a woman athlete should be. After school I went to my organization for 2 hrs.

Tuesday:

I had my second presentation in my Introducion a la cultura Ecuatorian class, which had to be at least 20 minutes long. My topic was plurinacionalidad which is this sorta movement that the indigenous people lobbied a lot to have in the new Ecuadorian constitution that was created in 2008. After, I started to look over my notes for my test that I had in the next class. Now I should say that according to the syllubs its a quiz (we have 5) but they make up more than 50% of our grade, which is why I consider them tests. Anywho after that I had an hour break before going to my next class.

Wednseday:

I had a lot to read for this day, but it went pretty smoothly. After classes I went to my organization and started to talk to Amanda (she works with APDH) and she pointed out that there was a quicker way for me to get home. I took mental notes, and when I got out I decided to be adventures and see if this was a quicker way. Well, I guess I didn't hear her correctly because I apparently got on the wrong bus (it was going South and I wanted to go North). Long story short I somehow got on the Ecovia (what I usually did) but at a stop further away. Once on it I was getting pushed more and more by passangers getting on, and I notice these four guys sitting down and smiling a lot towards me, I had my headphones and kept telling myself that I should calm down, I was being paranoid. When all of a sudden one of them taps me, I take one of the headphones off and have one of the most skechiest converstations I've had here:
Man 1: no pagaste (you didn't pay)
Me: umm si pague
Man 1: pero no me pagaste (but you didn't pay me)
Me: perdon?
Man 1: me tienes que pagar para que no te robe (you need to pay me so I don't rob you)
Me:......
Man 2: Mira si no quieres que te robe tu mochila le tienes que dar dinero (look, if you don't want him to rob your bookbag you have to give him money)
Me: ....(at this point I went from confuesd to scared shitless in less than a second, and I started to think whether I had enough money to pay them off, and secondly EVERYONE was looking so I started to think whether I could count on these strangers to help me if they try and take my bag regardless if I pay them or not).
Men: ...(starring at me pretty seriously)...
Woman: (this lady was sitting right next to the guy who started all this, she starts to nod her head and then winks at me)...no les pongas atencion, estan jugando (don't pay any attention to them, they are playing with you)
Me: ...ooh....
Men: jajajajajaja
Me: (I just want to get the hell off, can't move away from them because we are seriously squished)

Around 4 minutes later I get to my stop, and of course they would get off there too. I stayed in the platform awhile, and then got off and continued my route home.

Later on that night...

I got a call from a friend and we decided to go with a few people to a bar/shwaram place to see a soccer game, I was pretty glad to be able to chill after two heavy days of school work.

Thursday:

Having already done my presentation I now have the luxury to sit in class and listen to other presentations. After my last class, art, I went home but before going home I stopped by to buy Harry Potter tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I am a HP fan, and if I could get my hands on the 7th book I would stay up all night and re-read it again before going to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment