Wednesday, September 29, 2010

New law in Quito: Pico y placa

So I thought I should write a little about this new law in Quito called pico y placa, which is a new law that is trying to reduce traffic. Pico refers to the times of day that there is the most traffic (aka rush hour) and placa is a reference to the last number of your license plate, which according to that number you know what day of the week you are NOT allowed to drive. This is only applicable in most of Quito, and has only been in place for about four months. Now you can try and be slick, or forget (like my host dad), but you better believe that the police is going to stop you and give you a nice ticket. First ticket is $80, second is $120, and by the third it’s a $240 fine...yupp, and I have no idea what happens if you get pulled over a fourth time...license revoked? $380 fine? I have no idea. Anywho this also means buses can't run on thier given day, my bus driver tried to be slick and got pulled over, he was not a happy camper after that. Here is a link (in espanol) if you want to read more about this. http://www.eluniverso.com/2010/05/03/1/1447/desde-hoy-rige-pico-placa-vias-quitenas.html

1 comment:

  1. Hi Aracely, nice write up. I think the 4th offence is the pokey and they impound the vehicle.
    Thanks,
    journeymanjack.com

    ReplyDelete