Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Transportation in Quito is always an adventure

View of Quito from a super busy roundabout that I have
to cross everyday...twice a day.
Well believe it or not this is my fourth week here!! Okay this means I think I am allowed to say some of the pros...and cons of this lovely city. For starters I like that there is sooo much to do, theres always new places to go explore. However,just like any big city you have to be careful of pick-picketer's, express kidnappings (an agent for the U.S embassy came to talk to the international students and brought this to our attention), and the food. Transportation is everywhere, there are buses, the metrobuses called the ecovia, and the trolleys, but these drivers are not always the most considering type of people, they have a mission: get to all the stops in the least amount of time. This is great for those of us in a hurry, but it also means that you have to hold on for dear life, while holding onto your belongings because at any point you might get robbed. I have to take a bus to "el ecovia" and then go to the end of the station called "rio coca" and then cross then walk half a block (its actually less) and get on a bus that takes me to Cumbaya, which is the valley next to Quito and where USFQ is located. This usually takes about 45 minutes, give or take, and I usually enjoy the ride...gives me time to think and soak the city and soak in the fact that I am in a different country, but when you get shoved into "el ecovia" and can't find a place to hold onto, and the driver doesn't care if you fall or not, and you are sure someone just grabbed your butt...well you start to miss the campus life, when no bus (or trolley) was needed, and all you had to do was walk down (Academy St.) and get to class.  The rule of thumb as far as transportation goes for getting around after dark, which is 6:30ish, is to always take a taxi. Now, if its not too late then the taxi will use the speedometer, but if he doesn't then you have to negotiate with them. I had a hard time understanding why I would want to bargin when the total was $6, in chicago it would cost maybe $10 for the same distance, however once I saw my host sister get the price down to $4 I learned the ecua way to bargin...and it also helped to think that a bus would cost 25 cents, therefore $6 to get to the same place is expensive. After listening to a few presentations during orientation I feel like I am a pro at scouting the good taxis vs the bad ones that would kidnap you, make you give them money, and maybe hurt you (this is the express kidnapping that the agent guy was talking about). To avoid this we have been given taxi numbers to call, some even text you the make and model of taxi, the color, thier number, and how long it might take. Problem? Yes. There are times when you call them and nobody answers, or they do and they tell you that there are no taxis available, which then leaves only one choice...go find a taxi at the nearest busy street. However, this should be done in a group, and as long as the taxi has a orange liscense plate, company sign at the side, and a number you should be good. Well thats as much safety tips you probably wanted to know but I felt like I had to share the knowledge :)

The stop on the Ecovia that I get on (and off) is called "Naciones Unidas" 

1 comment:

  1. lol can't wait to ride this bus!! sounds like fun actually

    ReplyDelete