Sunday, August 29, 2010

¡Papa chango!

I thought I should write a little about some of the differences between the Spanish I grew up with (both of my parents are Mexican) and Ecuadorian Spanish. For the most part it's easy for me to understand, however my host family is originally from "la costa" where Spanish is spoken a lot faster. I still get a little lost when my host brothers speak because its fast and they use a lot of slang words that I am still trying to get used to. Here are some words/ phrases:

pana(s)--> amigo(a)(s)
estar chiro(a)--> I am broke
el/la man, los/las manes --> man/woman or men/women
¡Que bestia!--> ¡Tremendo(a)! o ¡increible!
¡Que chevere¡--> ¡Que bien!/ cool!
plata--> money
farear--> to go out
chuchaqui (Quechua word) --> hangover

Some surprising things:
-una torta is not a torta, its a cake!
-to get on a metrobus, trolley, and/or bus its only 25 cents!
-don't try and buy minutes after 6pm when there is a "promocion"...it will take you forever

Okay, well now onto what I did yesterday :)  Sarvie and I had decided to go to the botanic gardens located inside of parque carolina, and we were walking through the park when all of a sudden we stubbled across a concert! It was so cool, and of course I have some pics to share:



This band was the first we saw, and as you can tell we were pretty close to the stage (even closer with a little thing called zoom).


<><><><><><><><>
<>
<><><><><><><><>
<><><><><><><><>
The concert was for the youth promoting the message of living with a zero tolerance for drinking and smoking, these were some of the bands that played.


 This band was called Chaucha kings and their lead singer's style reminded us of Sting a little, do you see it?


Me and Sarvie



We took a break to go eat, and when we came back we were greeted by some other friends, and the coolest band ever called Papa Chango, who we later learned a pretty famous here are pics and a video:

Friends from Kalamazoo that we met while at the concert.

Papa Chango! They were so hype on stage, I loved it!!

I thought this guy was soo cool and talented.

 At one point the sound system died, and instead of the crowd getting mad they started to sing the song, it was incredible, everyone was singing and luckily the crew was able to get everything working again.

No comments:

Post a Comment